As some of you who have seen the earlier posts on this project know, there were many things in this “reclamation project” which needed to be fixed or changed. I have done some posts to show how the metal areas were changed from the original drybrushed metallics to the desired NMM. Here’s a link:
While the most noticeable change was the metal, I think you can also see a lot of differences in the skin tones and the horns.
Finally, there was one more fix that was required, and that was the basing. The original request was for a cracked earth look, but plain rocks and gravel is all that had been done. So, I thought this might be an interesting test of some GW material that I had gotten for my Bolt Action figures.
I had tested this on some much smaller bases, and I was very surprised at how well it worked. If you apply it in large blobs, you will get those nice large cracks. When you thin it down a bit and apply it a little more lightly around the edges of your deep cracks, it starts to look even more interesting and natural!
This is certainly something that I will try to fashion into a basing tutorial for the Patreon Page! I think I will even try it on some of the Song Of Ice and Fire units, which should be very nifty. There are already a number of basing tutorials available on the Patreon Page… here’s a link so you can check that out: www.patreon.com/JamesWappel